1,500+ Business Documents

< Go back

Topic: Landlord and tenant documents

licence to make alterations
File size:

# Pages:

Licence to make alterations

Licence to make alterations

You need to carry out some alterations to your premises. Your landlord’s now given you the nod. Use our form to set out in detail what’s been agreed between you so as to avoid any future misunderstandings.


As with almost anything you do as a tenant, you must always check your lease to see what’s allowed and what isn’t. Most well-drawn up leases allow alterations to be made, provided the landlord agrees. If the covenant is qualified, i.e. it says the landlord’s consent is needed, there’s always an implied term that any consent must be exercised reasonably. So, as long as you’re not destroying the building, you should be OK.


If your landlord’s consent is needed, make sure that you supply them with detailed specifications of any work you’re thinking of having carried out. If necessary, this may mean giving plans, surveyor’s, architect’s and builder’s reports.

Other consents

Depending on the nature and extent of the work, don’t forget too that building regulation approval and planning permission may also be required before you can carry out your alterations.

Set it out

Once you’ve agreed everything with your landlord, make sure that your licence sets out in as much detail as possible precisely what works you’re having carried out. If necessary, attach plans, architect’s reports etc. to the document. This will help you avoid any disputes over what was agreed.


Again, make sure that you’ve budgeted for costs because you’re likely to be asked to pay your landlord’s costs, e.g. legal fees.

© Indicator - FL Memo Ltd • Telephone: (01233) 653500 • Fax: (01233) 647100 • customer.services@indicator-flm.co.uk • www.indicator-flm.co.uk
Calgarth House, 39-41 Bank Street, Ashford, Kent TN23 1DQ • VAT GB 726 598 394 • Registered in England • Company Registration No. 3599719